Allow me to share my recent frustrations with you.
(1) I tried to log in to Facebook because I wanted to post about a petition I created to my friends list. It has been years since I logged in there though, so unfortunately I couldn't remember my old password AND I couldn't figure out how to get in to my old email account (i.e. the email associated with my Facebook account/profile).
After many tries, nada.
(2) I finally managed to get in to my old account. I then went to log in to my Facebook account and it told me that my account was blocked for 'suspicious activity'. (Probably a mix of trying to log in multiple times and it didn't recognize the computer I was logging in from which, since I haven't logged in for YEARS, all I can say to that is... duh Facebook.)
Anyways, the ONLY two options for me to 'verify my identity' were to have three of five friends vouch for me by going somewhere on Facebook's labyrinth of bullshit, OR sending them a photo ID of myself (which there is literally NO WAY I am giving them
...Also, the five friends in question? These are people I haven't spoken to EXCEPT on Facebook for years and have no way to contact outside of Facebook. (So logical to do this!!)
(3) After a few days of waiting I got an email saying the account had been unlocked... I tried to go in to change the password because hey, it's been YEARS, Facebook, and I don't remember that old shit, give me a fucking break.
What happens? Oh, fuck off, it's STILL locked and I need to have the same 5 friends vouch for me OR send them photo ID.
(4) In between this bullshit I wrote multiple emails (as well as comments on their website) to Facebook, mostly from the email associated with the account, explaining what had happened but also stating that their procedure is ridiculous and that I was not willing to submit a photo ID to them. I suggested that they let me choose three people I actually DO talk to outside of Facebook to vouch for me.
Nada. No answer to any email.
(5) I decided, fuck it, I guess I'll create a new account, because there's no way this is going to work, because it's literally impossible to get a human being (I tried googling to see whether there was a telephone number for Facebook and nada -the ONLY numbers are actually scams
). Facebook does not have a help number!
So I tried to sign up for a new account. Didn't work using Chrome (i.e. it kept telling me that I had to enable cookies... when they were already enabled). Same thing in Microsoft Edge -it keeps on telling me to activate cookies and doesn't let me sign up.
Anyways, literally ALL I ever wanted was to share a link to my petition with friends list, but evidently that just isn't going to happen.
Fuck you, Mark Zuckerberg, and the horse you rode in on!!